Board of DirectorsGreater Haitian American Chamber of Commerce of Orlando
Apply to an Open Position Today!
Positions are available
Thank you for your interest in serving as a committee member of the Board of Directors of the Greater Haitian American Chamber of Commerce (GHACC) of Orlando. Serving on the board is a rewarding experience and an opportunity for professional growth. Completing this form will help you understand the skills and time/resource commitments of this leadership position.
You may find it helpful to read through the entire application and job description before you begin filling it out. This application will be kept confidential and on file at the Chamber office. Applications are used by the Chamber’s Executive Board Committee to identify and evaluate potential board candidates. This committee will interview potential board members and make recommendations to the full board of directors. Directors are elected by a majority vote of current board members.
Functions of the Board Member
- Be a paid active Member
- Serves a minimum of 1 two-year term on the Board. Eligible to serve 2 two-year terms.
- Accountable to the Chamber Board of Directors.
- Attends board meetings and important meetings on a regular basis. The Full Board of Directors meets the
2nd Thursday of every month at 6:30 pm at the Chamber. Meetings last 1 -1 1⁄2 hours.
- Serves and makes a serious commitment to participate actively in Chamber committee work.
- Volunteers for and willingly accepts assignments and completes them thoroughly and on time.
- Stays informed about committee matters, prepares themselves well for meetings, reviews and comments
on minutes and reports.
- Builds a collegial working relationship with other committee members that contributes to consensus.
- Participates in the committee’s annual evaluation and planning efforts.
- Participates in membership recruitment for the organization.
- Participates in fund raising activities for the organization.
- Supports GHACC by making a minimum financial contribution of $250.00 to the organization each year, in addition to the membership fee. If a board member is unable to donate, he/she will agree to find a donor to contribute to the organization
- Commits a minimum of 5 to 10 hours per month to participate in Board activities and events. Please note that additional effort that may be required in relation to fundraising events or other special activities.
Review and reflect on these three questions before you accept a board role.
- Do my goals align with this organization and its board? Knowing who else is on the board can give you a sense of whether you’d be a good fit.
- Will my skills, experience or expertise help increase the impact of the organization and further its mission? The best board roles are ones that give you the opportunity to be engaged in an impactful and meaningful way.
- Can I commit the time required to fulfill my legal and fiduciary responsibilities as a board member? It is vital that as a board member, you understand what is expected of board members before you sign on.